In light of the George Floyd uprisings in the summer of 2020, a group of student affinity organizations established the Student Diversity Council at Chicago-Kent. While these bodies had collaborated in the past on events such as the MLK Forum, Diversity Week, and Diversity Graduation, this council created a forum for student leaders representing historically marginalized groups to address diversity-related issues on campus.
The Student Diversity Council is a student-based forum with the goal of holding Chicago-Kent accountable in our efforts to ensure a diverse and inclusive community. The current member organizations include*: APALSA, BLSA, DALSA, First-Generation LSA, HLLSA, JLSA, Lambdas, MLSA, REAA, SALSA, SHN, WILS, and the SBA Diversity Committee, joined in a supportive capacity by the Faculty Diversity Committee and the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Both a resource and an advocate for the value of diversity, the Council serves as a medium for fostering an understanding of equity and inclusion as a key metric for professional success and community well-being through various events and initiatives. It exists to cultivate a network that advances diversity and transforms our campus into an inclusive environment that values underrepresented students for their differences and empowers them to reach their fullest potential. The Council provides a space for student leaders to empathize with each other and show solidarity for diversity concerns that affect their member populations while actively working towards equitable solutions.
Current Member Organizations
*This list is updated for the 2021-2022 academic year:
- APALSA: Asian Pacific American Law Association
- BLSA: Black Law Student Association
- DALSA: Disability Advocacy Law Student Association
- FirstGen: First-Generation Law Student Association
- HLLSA: Hispanic Latinx Law Student Association
- JLSA: Jewish Law Students Association
- Lambdas: Chicago-Kent LGBT Association
- MLSA: Muslim Law Student Association
- REAA: Racial Equity and Advocacy Alliance
- SALSA: South Asian Law Student Association
- SBA: Student Bar Association Diversity Committee
- SHN: Student Humanitarian Network
- WIL: Society of Women in Law